Director of User Experience
06/2018 - 07/2020
Cox Automotive is a conglomerate with 25 subsidies like Kelley Blue Book and Autotrader. My work focused on helping UX be a centralized team others could count on and look to for what the future state might look like based on data and the users needs. While responsible for 4 UX teams across the automotive dealership, DMV, and States retail and finance products, the value was working as one UX team rather than just one person per product group.
- Launched Dealertrack series of products including The Credit App which lead to a 43% increase in loan application completion. After relaunch revenue increase for this division measured at 6%.
- Restructured the UX team and relaunched the regUSA product. A solid measure of 21% increase in new visitors since April 2020.
- Managed 4 teams (located in NY, Dallas, Sacramento, and Groton, CT) totaling 9 UX and Product Designers.
- Evolve the company’s approach to User Experience design based on industry best practices, including agile development methodologies.IBM Watson Health, Cambridge, MA.
IBM Watson Health
Senior Design Manager
05/2016 - 06/018
IBM Watson Consumer Health - In charge of consumer health and created Watson for Genomics (as seen on CBS 60 Minutes 10/09/2016). Partnered with companies to bring machine learning and block chain into their healthcare systems.
- Built the Design Studio at Watson Health headquarters - Watson for Genomics. A late-stage cancer application that allows Pathologists and Oncologists to find the best clinical trials and drugs that match that particular cancer.
- Formed and managed a team of 28 multi-disciplinary designers that worked on Oncology and Life Sciences product lines.
- Teamed with the FDA and other partners to implement Blockchain offerings including Proof of Concepts and demos.
- Facilitated over 20 Design Thinking workshops and worked on the Design System for Watson Health.
- Worked on Watson Health’s Design System. Design principles, interaction design patterns, and case study templates to help with design reviews.
Highway 22 (a UX Firm)
UX (User Experience)Design Director
09/2015 - 02/2016
UX and product development agency with a diverse clientele.
- Created the research and Current State analysis for a Federal online insurance application, changing the idea of who would be using the product and the tone within.
- Redesign of the Highway 22 website, including user research, current state analysis, content strategy, and contributing the HTML and CSS to the final production code. The updated site has increased traffic and online referrals by 67.3%.
UX Manager | Interaction Design & Consumer Facing Mobile
A tax preparation company offering 31+ digital products for consumers and tax professionals. Focused on 3 client facing consumer apps - H&R Block brand app, 1040EZ, and Emerald Card app.
- Headed up retail and digital product lines - focusing on Interaction Design product lines such as Tax Pro line, on-boarding flow of apps for both Web and Mobile.
- Managed a team of 5 interaction designers.
- Project management, research, and interaction to decrease the pages needed while increasing user interactions by 165%.
- Developed RFP’s and managed external UX firm relationships.
- Created the Design System, interaction standards, spec docs, style guides, over 10 prototypes for user testing, and consulted on creating responsive websites for multiple internal teams.
- Conducted training in various tools for the UX teams.
Senior UX Strategist III
2007 - 2008 and 09/2010 - 01/2013
A telecommunication compnany
- UX design for internal applications: Customer care app for Chrysler's CVP program, proof of concepts for would-be apps and brainstorming new ideas for the "Innovation" award-winning team.
- UX Lead: Lead for the CMS for Sprint Zone. Hired team members. HTML, jQuery, CSS Frameworks. IA, site maps, written specs, design brief.
- Proof of Concepts and Innovation team member: Think tank member and POC creation.. Web, and mobile. On a patent for "Method of Accessing Services From a Mobile Communication Device". Used any number of skills and applications. Sketching to Flash Catalyst and everything in-between.
Mobile app UX: Agile team creating UX and fake assets for developers. On the Entertainment team for Sprint Zone. Page mock ups for mobile first. CSS Frameworks. Icon design. CSS Sprites. Prototypes. Axure, Illustrator, sketching, Fireworks.
Senior UX Designer
- UX lead: design and development for Teva’s generic drug companies.
- Created dozens of websites using research, strategy, wireframes, visual design and CSS and HTML.
A Box of Pixels, LLC - Glen Cove NY
Founder, Consultant, Strategist, Head of Design/UX
In my time in UX, I’ve done front end, interaction design, user research, visual design, usability and that allows me to be able to assess a situation and be able to figure out which method works best in a given scenario.
Being able to get to the user needs faster and thus the ROI of a project because of the ability to work with engineering, Product and Business is always key. Using a variety of methods like, Design Thinking, ideation, iteration for agile product design and development products. Use of lean UX practices to ensure alignment with client development cycles.
Client List (Abridged)
Adobe, AARP, Burger King, David Nanos Productions, F2 New Media, USA FDA, Geochat, Hills Pet Nutrition , Ingram’s Magazine, Microsoft, MacSource, River City Solutions , Samsung, Sprint, Sunflower Dermatology, ThinqDigital, Teva Neuroscience, Walmart Health
- Mobile UX of a mobile chat app. Decreased steps, to a create a simplified and cohesive design starting with the Sign In process. Research, analysis, interaction and visual design.
- Research and interaction design, web design for MacSource, River City Solutions, Ingram’s magazine, David Nanos productions, ThinqDigital and F2 New Media.
- Adobe Certified instructor, for ThinqDigital, and did demos across the country for Adobe as well as events and video tutorials for Total Training.
- Sunflower Dermatology launched their website with SEO in mind before building the website which preserved the budget and reduced implementation costs. SEO was or has been implemented. 277.22% increase in organic traffic within 60 days.
See the PDF for more information.
As the Director of UX, my focus is on delivering data-driven design that impacts growth and business needs, but aligns with the users needs. I thrive in working with leadership and stakeholders, product, and engineering while building multi-disciplinary teams and helping build the career of individuals.
My experience encompasses consumer-side mobile, Fin-tech/financial, eCommerce, B2B, agency, telecommunications, Saas, health applications and web site design.
- Guest speaker at Harvard Business Extension
- Interviewing workshop for Trilogy Education Services
- UX Panel: Cross Functional Teams for Tech Circus
- Speaker at Adobe MAX 2010/2015 for a full day pre-conference class on UX and UI for everyone
- Adobe Community Professional (events, website, forums, writer, webinars, etc.) and freelancer from 2004-2017
- Speaker at multiple conferences such Adobe MAX, CF United (Cold Fusion), NC DevCon
- Organizer of D2W, a workflow conference for designers and developers for 4 years in Kansas City with speakers from all over the globe
- Patent holder from Sprint for “Method of Accessing Services From a Mobile Communication Device”
- UX User Group manager - Created and managed 7 web and design user groups and events from 1998 - 2016
Sketch, Adobe XD, Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat,), Premiere, Figma, Framer, InVision, Microsoft 365, Slack, Github, Asana, Trello, Jira, Mural, Miro, Abstract, Zepellin, graphic design, Mobile UX Design, SaaS design, Enterprise Design, Design Systems, HTML, CSS
Leading, consensus builder, persuasion, conflict resolution, crisis management, client and stakeholder management, mentor, communicator, self-motivated, adaptability, decision making, planning, budgeting, understanding, teamwork, clarity, confidence, respect, empathy, great listener, non-verbal communication, constructive feedback, friendly, diversity positive, delegate, collaborative, innovative, negotiator, curious, calm, optimistic, organized, persistent, observational, takes initiative, logical reasoning, and lateral thinking, analytical, inspirational, imaginative, integrity, discipline, patient, authentic, enthusiastic